On Boxing Day 1903 Dundee travelled to play a league game against Partick Thistle at the Meadowside ground which was on the banks of the River Clyde.

Dundee had a novel experience on Saturday. On approaching Partick Thistle’s ground, which is situated on the north bank of the Clyde, they suddenly struck a fog that would have done justice to the City of London. The driver of the char-a-banc that conveyed the players and officials from the station had some difficulty in reaching Meadowside, but happily he had the guidance of Fred McDiarmid, who is no stranger in these parts. After carefully groping their way along, Fred cheerily sang out, “Here’s the ground,” a statement most of us had to take on trust, as I’ll be hanged if I could see anything but an impenetrable sea of vapour, but Fred was right, and the ground it was sure enough.

Standing at the door of the pavilion, it was quite impossible to see the nearest touchline situated less that eight yards away. Twenty minutes from the time appointed to kick off there was no improvement, when suddenly, as though controlled by the good fairy queen’s wand – excuse the simile; one is full of pantomime and other things at this festive time – the clouds began to roll off the field, and within five minutes one could see from end to end of the ground. The thing seemed incredible to us ‘norlanders’ who have little experience of the vagaries of the fog fiend. Six minutes after the advertised time Dundee, who had lost the toss, kicked off. [Dundee Evening Post]

Detraining at Cowlairs, that suburb of the great city famous in the annals of early football days, Dundee drove to Meadowside, where they were due to meet Partick Thistle in the Scottish League. En route an amusing incident occurred. Dundee’s destination had all been but reached, when the conveyance, in approaching the banks of the Clyde, ran into a wall of fog. It was so dense that it was impossible to see even a dozen yards ahead, and great caution had to be exercised; in fact, matters were so bad that a forerunner had to be requisitioned to show the way. Fortunately no mishap befell the party. Meadowside was completely enveloped in fog, and, as this was about half an hour from the advertised starting time, the prospects of the match going on were of the remotest kind. Suddenly, and in the most remarkable fashion, a slight breeze sprang up, and soon the whole aspect way changed. Then there was a bit of a hubbub. A rush had to be made to have the “gates” opened, and the players prepared for a start.

Everything went well for nearly an hour.

The chances of a close and exciting finish were of the brightest when the fog reappeared just as swiftly as it had previously gone. In one minute the players were “lost in the mist.” It was for all the world like smoke driven before the wind. Situated quite adjacent to the Clyde, the ground lends itself to fog. First Partick’s goalkeeper went from view, then the backs, halfbacks, and so on till all were engulfed. Not one player was discernible. Gradually they found their way to the pavilion, and the referee waited for a few minutes to see if the fog would go again Alas no such luck. It became thicker than ever; so there was nothing for it but to abandon the game. [Dundee Evening Telegraph]

After 60 minutes, with Thistle leading 2-1 with goals from John Wilkie and William Massie, and a counter from Hugh Morgan, the game was abandoned.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.